Our season is coming to an end, but some of the late items like butternut squash have a great shelf life. I love to roast a few of them, and then either freeze the puree or make casseroles and soups. This time I decided I wanted something sweet, so took our basic sweet potato pie recipe and subbed butternut squash puree. It turned out to be fabulous!
Butternut Squash Pie
2 cups butternut squash puree
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
Directions:
1. Roast butternut squash and then mash to make 2 cups butternut squash puree.
2. Place squash puree in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60 to 70 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.
Notes:
After an hour of baking, I turn the oven off, crack the door, and leave the pie in the oven to cool for another 30-60 minutes. This helps with cracking. I also place a crust shield over the pie to prevent the crust from getting too dark.
This is a great alternative to sweet potato or pumpkin pie. I love it cold the next day with a dollop of whipped cream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment